With the one year anniversary of Windows 10 on the horizon, Microsoft has announced that the operating system is now active on 300 million devices around the world.
Yusuf Mehdi, Microsoft Windows and Devices Group corporate vice president, also took the opportunity to announce that the free upgrade is coming to a close.
He says, “Today, we want to remind you that if you haven’t taken advantage of the free upgrade offer, now is the time. The free upgrade offer to Windows 10 was a first for Microsoft, helping people upgrade faster than ever before. And time is running out."
According to Mehdi, the free upgrade offer will end on July 29, and after this date users will be able to get Windows 10 on a new device, or purchase a full version of Windows 10 Home for $119.
Mehdi says, “We’re pleased to see Windows 10 become one of the largest online services in less than a year.
“Core to delivering our more personal computing vision, Windows 10 offers experiences that are familiar, safer and more secure, and more personal and productive - enabling innovative new experiences.”
According to Mehdi, Windows 10 is being used in a vast variety of settings, from homes and schools, to small businesses, large companies and other organisations.
To celebrate reaching 300 million users, Microsoft announced a few key milestones:
- More than 63 billion minutes were spent on Microsoft Edge in March alone, with 50% growth in minutes since the last quarter. Exclusively available on Windows 10, Microsoft Edge is the vendor's new browser, taking place of Internet Explorer.
- Cortana, the personal digital assistant in Windows 10, has helped answer more than billion questions since launch.
- People are playing games on Windows 10 more than ever before, with more than nine billion hours of gameplay on Windows 10 since launch.
- Apps that come with Windows 10, including Photos, Groove Music, and Movies and TV are seeing millions of active users each month, including more than 144 million people using Photos.
- The Windows Store continues to grow with new Universal Windows Platform apps like Facebook, Instagram, and Facebook Messenger; updated UWP apps from Vine, Hulu, Netflix and Twitter; and PC games including Rise of the Tomb Raider and Quantum Break.
Mehdi says, “With the highest customer satisfaction of any version of Windows, we want everyone to enjoy the benefits of Windows 10. We continue to see awesome new Windows 10 devices becoming available - at a price point for everyone.”