NVIDIA has announced the GeForce RTX series, the first gaming GPUs based on the break-through new Turing architecture and RTX platform, which fuses next-generation shaders with real-time ray tracing and all-new AI capabilities.
This new hybrid graphics capability represents the biggest generational leap ever in gaming GPUs.
Turing, which delivers 6x more performance than its predecessor, and Pascal, with new features and technologies that deliver 4K HDR gaming at 60 frames per second on even the most advanced titles.
“Turing opens up a new golden age of gaming, with realism only possible with ray tracing, which most people thought was still a decade away,” says NVIDIA founder and CEO Jensen Huang.
“The breakthrough is a hybrid rendering model that boosts today's computer graphics with the addition of lightning-fast ray-tracing acceleration and AI. RTX is going to define a new look for computer graphics. Once you see an RTX game, you can't go back.
The new GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2080 and 2070 GPUs are packed with features never before seen in a gaming GPU, including:
- New RT Cores to enable real-time ray tracing of objects and environments with physically accurate shadows, reflections, refractions, and global illumination.
- Turing Tensor Cores to perform lightning-fast deep neural network processing.
- New NGX neural graphics framework integrates AI into the overall graphics pipeline, enabling AI algorithms to perform amazing image enhancement and generation.
- New Turing shader architecture with Variable Rate Shading allows shaders to focus processing power on areas of rich detail, boosting overall performance.
- New memory system featuring ultra-fast GDDR6 with over 600GB/s of memory bandwidth for high-speed, high-resolution gaming.
- NVIDIA NVLink, a high-speed interconnect that provides higher bandwidth (up to 100 GB/s) and improved scalability for multi-GPU configurations (SLI).
- Hardware support for USB Type-C and VirtualLink a new open industry standard being developed to meet the power, display and bandwidth demands of next-generation VR headsets through a single USB-C connector.
- New and enhanced technologies to improve the performance of VR applications, including
- Variable Rate Shading, Multi-View Rendering and VRWorks Audio.
NVIDIA is also releasing special Founders Edition versions of the new GeForce RTX GPUs. Designed and built to the company's high standards, the GPUs' key features include:
- Factory-overclocked design out of the box, with a next-gen 13-phase iMON DrMOS power supply and sub-millisecond power management for maximum overclocking.
- Dual 13-blade axial fans produce 3x higher airflow and ultra-quiet acoustics.
- Forged and machine-finished diecast aluminium cover with diamond-cut edge detailing provides a rigid, lightweightfor an open design with beautifully smooth, continuous curves.
- First full-card vapour chamber, which is 2x larger to maximize heat spreading and heat transfer to the finstack.
- Enhanced DisplayPort 1.4a with DSC allows a single connector to drive an 8K monitor at 60Hz.
The world's top game publishers, developers and engine creators have announced support for the NVIDIA RTX platform to bring the holy grail of real-time ray tracing and the power of AI to gamers everywhere.
They include Battlefield V, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus, Control, and Assetto Corsa Competizione. Developers include EA, Square Enix, EPIC Games, and more.
The NVIDIA RTX platform has quickly emerged as the industry standard for real-time ray tracing and artificial intelligence in games.
The RTX platform is also being adopted by a large number of developers of professional rendering applications, including Adobe, Autodesk and Pixar.