Sony has revealed the Xperia Tablet Z, a premium 10.1 Android powered device set to become the world's thinnest tablet, and it can even swim - proof to follow.
Unveiled as the world's "slimmest and lightest" tablet, the device measures 10-inches, with 6.9mm thickness compared to Apple's chunky in comparison iPad Mini at 7.2mm.
Good looks aside, the glamourous design may be taken as given from first sight, but claims it can keep it's head above water longer than the ill-fated Rena cargo ship requires evidence.
Possessing the highest levels of water resistance known to the market, the product can be immersed in up to three feet of water for up to 30 minutes and here's the proof:
“Xperia Tablet Z reinforces our intention to be a leading player in the premium Android device market," says Kaz Tajima, head of UX creative design and planning, Sony Mobile Communications.
"By building on the principles established by Xperia Z and perfectly optimizing them for the tablet form factor."
Running on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, a guaranteed update to 4.2 is promised by the company, who also adds obvious features such as Playstation-certified to the tablet. Hardly surprising as this will be of growing significance following Sony's recent Playstation 4 announcement.
Branding the device as the "very best of Sony technology", the tablet includes Battery STAMINA mode aimed at improving standby time.
Available to Kiwis nationwide from May, Sony says the ultra-thin product will be available in 16GB and 32GB black versions with a starting price of US$499.
Key features for Xperia Tablet Z include:
* 10.1” Full HD 1920x1200p Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2
* The world’s thinnest 10.1” tablet at 6.9 mm* and lightweight at 495 grams
* Dust and water resistant (IP55 & IP57) with a durable glass front display
* Built-in universal IR remote control can control Sony and other manufacturers’consumer electronic devices
* Snapdragon S4 Pro processor with 1.5 GHz asynchronous quad-core CPU and 2GB RAM
* One-Touch connectivity with Near Field Communication (NFC)
* 8MP rear camera featuring Exmor R for Mobile and Superior Auto plus 2MP HDfront camera