Veeam AWS backup v3 adds support for RDS
FYI, this story is more than a year old
Veeam Software has made v3 of its AWS backup product generally available.
It is a fully-automated and native backup and disaster recovery solution built on Amazon Web Services (AWS), designed to provide additional protection and management capabilities for Amazon Elastic Cloud Compute (Amazon EC2) and Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS).
This new support and feature set is available in two packaging options:
- Veeam Backup for AWS, a standalone AWS backup and recovery solution for protecting data on AWS
- Veeam Backup & Replication, unifying AWS backup and recovery with other cloud, virtual or physical data and unlimited data portability to, from and across clouds
“We are excited to deliver Amazon RDS support in this latest version of Veeam Backup for AWS,” says Veeam product strategy senior vice president and chief technology officer Danny Allan.
“With the number of active AWS users exceeding 1 million, it’s no surprise that this support has been the most requested feature from our Veeam customers and prospects. Not only is there an amazing market opportunity, but it’s also the right time for us to fulfill a great need for our customers and stay ahead of the curve. Our recent acquisition of Kasten further strengthens our commitment to support our customers’ business transformation to future-ready architectures. Veeam’s ability to now also protect and mobilise Kubernetes workloads in AWS via Kasten K10 data management platform is certainly a major differentiator in this space.”
Veeam Backup for AWS v3 now delivers AWS-native backup and recovery of Amazon RDS databases.
Users are able to fully automate backups of Amazon RDS with flexible policies and scheduling, and can subsequently overcome data loss using recovery options to restore entire databases from an exact point in time in just seconds.
Additional new functionality includes:
- Support for backup and recovery of Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC) settings — even across AWS accounts and AWS Regions — for troubleshooting, disaster recovery and dev/test purposes
- Role-Based Access Control to delegate roles and access permissions for backup and recovery operations
- Support for AWS Outposts, enabling organisations to use the same AWS-native backup and recovery they use for on-premises AWS Outposts deployments
Veeam Backup for AWS is available in three editions: a FREE standalone cloud backup solution (limited to 10 AWS instances; unlimited restores), a paid standalone cloud backup solution (starting at $40 per AWS instance per year; metering enabled; pay for what you use), or as part of Veeam Backup & Replication for a comprehensive hybrid and multi-cloud strategy with unlimited data portability options.